55 dead in Baghdad market blastJune 25th, 2009 - 2:54 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 25 (DPA) At least 55 people were killed and more than 115 wounded Wednesday in a bomb blast in a crowded market here, witnesses said.
The explosion took place in the crowded Maridi market in the eastern Sadr City area of the Iraqi capital.
The bomb was concealed under a vegetable cart, witnesses said.
Iraqi police sealed off the area while the sirens of ambulances transferring the victims were clearly heard, according to witnesses.
The huge explosion caused great damage to a number of shops and set some parked cars ablaze.
The attack - one of the deadliest so far this year in Iraq - comes less than a week before US soldiers withdraw from Iraqi cities, as part of President Barack Obama’s staged pullout from Iraq.
- Over 60 killed in Baghdad market blast (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 27 killed in Iraq bomb attacks - Dec 22, 2011
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 10 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jan 05, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- 25 killed in Iraq truck bombing - Jul 03, 2012
- Five killed, 35 injured in Iraq bombing (Lead) - Nov 01, 2009
- Nine killed in fresh bombings in Iraq - Jun 25, 2009
- 19 dead, dozens injured in Iraq blast (Lead) - Jun 26, 2009
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012