54 Africans died at sea during voyage to ItalyJuly 11th, 2012 - 8:54 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, July 11 (IANS)A total of 54 people have died in the Mediterranean sea while attempting to reach the Italian shores from Libya, Xinhua quoted the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) as saying.
These people were riding a boat and died of dehydration during their 15-day trip, UN agency cited a man who miraculously survived in the tragedy as saying Tuesday.
The boat had left from Tripoli in Libya in late June. A day later the boat reached the Italian coast, but high winds forced the boat back to sea, the survivor told an UNHCR official.
Within a few days the inflatable boat was punctured and air started to leak out. There
was no water onboard and people started to die from dehydration within days, he added.
Over half of the deceased were said to have come from Eritrea.
Fishermen found the survivor off the Tunisian coast Monday night and alerted the Tunisian Coast Guard who later rescued the man.
According to UNHCR, over 1,300 people have arrived in Italy from Libya by boat this year. Another 1,000 people landed in Malta.
The UN humanitarian agency estimated that some 170 people have so far been declared dead or lost at sea attempting to make the journey from Libya to Europe this year.
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Italy to send ships, planes to ease refugee crisis in Libya - Mar 04, 2011
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- Malta rescues 76 migrants fleeing Libya, one dies - Jun 02, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- Nearly 200 drown as boat catches fire off Sudan - Jul 06, 2011
- Tunisia and Italy agree to curb illegal immigration - Apr 07, 2011
- Three Bangladeshi evacuees from Libya drown off Crete - Mar 07, 2011
- Two killed as ship runs aground off Italy - Jan 14, 2012
- India urging Libya to open Tripoli airport for its flights - Feb 24, 2011
- Hundreds missing off Libya, many feared dead: Relief agencies (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Somali Olympic sprinter dies at sea - Aug 21, 2012
- NATO halts Gaddafi boats laying mines outside Misurata - Apr 30, 2011
- Vatican recognises Libya's NTC - Oct 22, 2011
- Libya bloodshed: Defiant Gaddafi says he is in Tripoli (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: africans, day trip, deceased, dehydration, eritrea, fishermen, high winds, humanitarian agency, inflatable boat, italian coast, libya, mediterranean sea, monday night, refugee agency, survivor, tripoli, tunisian coast, un agency, unhcr, xinhua