5.3-magnitude aftershock shakes ChristchurchApril 16th, 2011 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Apr 16 (ANI): A strong aftershock measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale has hit Christchurch city of New Zealand on Saturday.
The quake was centered 10 km northeast of Diamond Harbour at a depth of 11km.
Loss of power has been reported in areas such as Huntsbury, Addington and St Martins.
Roger Sutton, Chief executive of New Zealand’s energy industry Orion, said due to violent shaking power sub station had automatically shut down.
“When they think they’re in danger they shut down to minimize damage. We’re doing checks at the moment and hope to have all power supply restored within an hour,” stuff.co.nz quoted Sutton, as saying.
However, according to the police officials no major damage has been reported.
“There’s been some more rockfalls in the Sumner area and water pipes have burst in New Brighton but the council are dealing with that,” said a police official.
The shake was followed by a 3.4 magnitude quake at a depth of 8kilometer and within 5 kilometer of Lyttelton, a suburb of Christchurch.
Earlier, on February 22, a massive 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit Christchurch, which killed nearly 181 people. (ANI)
- Quake rocks New Zealand - Dec 23, 2011
- 65 killed as quake shakes up New Zealand city (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Major quake devastates New Zealand's Christchurch, at least 65 dead - Feb 22, 2011
- Massive quake damages New Zealand's Christchurch city - Sep 04, 2010
- Quake strikes near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jan 01, 2012
- Emergency declared after New Zealand quake (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- New Zealand quake toll rises to 145 (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand extends National State of Emergency over Christchurch quake - Mar 01, 2011
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Strong earthquakes strike off northeastern New Zealand - Nov 18, 2011
- Moderate 5.5-magnitude earthquake shakes Christchurch - Oct 10, 2011
- 5.1 earthquake near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jul 22, 2011
- Many dead, scores missing following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch - Feb 22, 2011
- 4.8 magnitude aftershock jolts Christchurch - Mar 05, 2011
- New Zealand may face further quake aftershocks; Oz seismologist - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: addington, christchurch, diamond harbour, energy industry, february 22, magnitude aftershock, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, new brighton, orion, police official, police officials, power supply, richter scale, rockfalls, roger sutton, st martins, suburb, water pipes, wellington