50 really is the new 40 for Britons throwing off their inhibitionsNovember 4th, 2010 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 4 (ANI): A new UK study suggests that 40 per cent of today’s over-50s feel at least a decade younger than their actual age.
And they are enjoying a better lifestyle too, giving themselves more time to do the things they like such as hobbies or seeing friends, reports the Daily Mail.
In the study of more than 10,000 people, a staggering 12 per cent of the over-50s claimed to be so full of life they feel more than 20 years younger than their true age.
Following in the footsteps of vibrant celebrities such as Felicity Kendal, Sharon Stone and Helen Mirren, women feel most youthful.
Revitalised by new hobbies and healthier lifestyles, 22 per cent of today’s women who have passed their half century say they feel ten to 15 years younger. A mere seven per cent say they feel older than they actually are.
In comparison, men, perhaps slower to embrace lifestyle changes and maybe still plagued by the traditional ‘midlife crisis’, don’t feel quite as young as their wives.
But the lives of celebrities such as Gary Lineker, who turns 50 this month, 70-year-old Cliff Richard and 64-year-old Sylvester Stallone all belie their years.
Of men over 50, 17 per cent say they feel ten to 15 years younger, the same amount feel their actual age and a significant three in ten feel between five and ten years younger. Only one in ten confess to feeling older. (ANI)
- Women in their 40s and 50s suffer from 'mirror phobia': Study - Apr 14, 2011
- iPhone generation find people over 50s as 'friendly, knowledgeable' - Apr 11, 2011
- Sylvester Stallone's beefy look pushed John to gym - Jul 20, 2012
- Most women 'don't wish to dress their age until they are 70' - Jan 07, 2011
- Self-perceived age of older Chinese consumers younger than actual age - May 19, 2010
- Unhealthy lifestyle makes women look '4 years older' than their actual age - Dec 22, 2010
- Over-50s increasingly going under the knife to stay 'toned, tanned and tinted' - Sep 17, 2010
- New ad shows Pitt's younger brother's lifestyle - Jul 03, 2012
- Older men now 'more likely to hit love jackpot' - Nov 07, 2010
- Keep smiling to look young - Nov 11, 2011
- Sage was centre of our universe: Sylvester - Jul 17, 2012
- Middle-aged have more fun than younger lot - Sep 20, 2010
- Sly exhibits paintings at St. Moritz art gallery - Feb 22, 2011
- Stallone at 50 was depressed over failing film career - Aug 03, 2010
- Insomnia - trigger for depression among elderly men - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: 50s, britons, celebrities, cliff richard, daily mail, decade, felicity kendal, footsteps, gary lineker, helen mirren, hobbies, inhibitions, lifestyle changes, lifestyles, midlife crisis, revitalised, sharon stone, study suggests that, sylvester stallone, true age