50 dead in Uganda landslidesAugust 30th, 2011 - 4:57 am ICT by IANS
Kampala, Aug 30 (IANS) More than 50 people were killed in landslides in eastern Uganda Monday, Xinhua reported.
Three villages in Bulambuli district were hit by landslides. Twenty-nine bodies were retrieved so far, radio stations reported quoting minister of state for relief Musa Ecweru. He said the number of casualties could increase.
The landslides were triggered by torrential rains.
Meanwhile, the rescue teams were searching for possible survivors.
Besides loss of livestock, hundreds of hectares of potatoes, maize and vegetables were damaged.
The government has warned of more landslides as the torrential rains in the country are likely to continue.
- Landslides bury hundreds of homes in eastern Uganda, killing at least 23 - Aug 29, 2011
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- Nine die as torrential rains batter China - Sep 17, 2011
- 58 die in China rains - Sep 24, 2011
- 300 feared dead in Uganda landslides (Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Toll in China floods reaches 50 - Jul 10, 2010
- 38 killed in China rains, storm (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- 29 die, 75 hurt in Sudan bus collision - Jun 17, 2011
- Landslide kills five in Kashmir - Apr 18, 2011
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Train passengers stranded by Assam floods being rescued - Jun 28, 2012
- Three killed in Maharashtra highway landslide - Jun 20, 2012
- 120,000 evacuated in China after breach in dykes - Jun 17, 2011