50 Asylum Seekers Feared Dead In Christmas Island ShipwreckDecember 15th, 2010 - 8:49 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Dec 15, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Today an unfortunate incident struck the Australian coast in the Christmas Island when a small timber boat carrying asylum seekers crashed onto the cliffs. Reports indicate as many as fifty people have died as a result of the unfortunate incident that took place today in the Australian island as a result of the bad weather that had affected the sea. Many have been missing as a result of the disastrous incident and rescue operations are still going on.
The small boat just dashed onto the cliffs and could not survive the dangerous hit due to which it started sinking down. Passengers traveling on the boat were thrown in the water and there was no one out there to help them. Eyewitnesses claim that they could do nothing more than to watch out the whole fatal accident helplessly. Giant waves kept on engulfing the boat and its passengers as the sea roared with its stormy waters. According to television recorded clips the boat first collided with the sharp edged cliffs and then straight away started to sink due to the wreck that was caused in it. Women and children panicked as they could not help themselves while being thrown into the monstrous sea.
According to reports rescue workers till now have been able to rescue 41 people from the sea water. One person had reportedly managed to swam ashore. The whole process of rescuing is going through a very difficult situation as the sea is still believed to be under torrents. An eyewitness claims that she could no longer bear the sight of babies being engulfed in the water. Dead bodies of women, children and babies have been found.
- Kids cry for help as 27 die in Australia boat capsize (Second Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Indian drowned at New Zealand beach - Feb 19, 2011
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Somalis spotted in Lakshadweep, three arrested (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Two fishermen dead, two hurt in collision off Kerala coast - Mar 01, 2012
- Coast guard rescue 30 crewmen from sinking ship (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- US 'drunk driver' swims off to escape arrest - Jan 11, 2012
- Toll in Tamil Nadu boat accident rises to 15 (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: asylum seekers, babies, bad weather, christmas, christmas island, dead bodies, dey, eyewitnesses, giant waves, madhuri, news today, rescue operations, sea water, shipwreck, small boat, stormy waters, television, torrents, unfortunate incident