5 policemen killed in suicide bombing in AfghanistanMarch 16th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 16 (Xinhua) At least five policemen were killed and over 10 injured Monday in a suicide bombing attack in southern Afghanistan, officials said.
“A man with an explosive device tied to his body blew himself up in front of the gate of police department, leaving five policemen dead and injured 10 others,” senior police officer Kamaludin Khan told Xinhua.
Eyewitnesses said that the casualties could be higher as the rescue operation was still going on.
Though no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, Taliban outfit often carry out such offensives.
The suicide attack targeted the police department in Lashkar Gha district, capital city of Helmand province in southern Afghanistan, said Daud Ahmadi, the provincial administration spokesman.
Similar suicide bombing in Afghan capital city Kabul Sunday claimed the lives of two civilians and wounded 14 others.
- Suicide bombing rocks Afghanistan city - Sep 27, 2011
- Four killed, 31 hurt in Afghan car bombing (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Car bombing rocks Afghan city - Jan 26, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 8 policemen in Afghanistan (Lead) - Mar 16, 2009
- 19 killed in Afghanistan roadside blast - Dec 07, 2011
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- 10 policemen die in Afghan car bombing - Jul 31, 2011
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- Six killed in Afghanistan bomb attack - Jan 04, 2012
- Afghan province governor injured in suicide blast - May 28, 2011
- 20 blasts rocks Afghanistan, 16 injured - May 07, 2011
- 10 killed in Afghan roadside bombing - Dec 29, 2011
- Seven killed in Afghan suicide blast (Lead) - May 28, 2011
Tags: afghan capital city, afghanistan kabul, casualties, civilians, explosive device, eyewitnesses, gha, lashkar, police department, police officer, policemen, provincial administration, southern afghanistan, spokesman, suicide attack, suicide bombing, taliban, xinhua