5-minute fitness drill to replace PE lessons in UK schools?November 27th, 2010 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 27 (ANI): Sports doctors in Britain have designed a radical programme for youngsters from the age of five that will replace their PE lessons with a five-minute fitness drill.
Doctors from the British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine, who came up with the ‘lunging, squatting, pushing, bracing and rotating’ exercise, have called for the Government to incorporate the regime in all schools.
Known as ‘five-in-five’, the routines are designed for pupils to do in uniform in the classroom, and teachers are advised to start their lessons with them.
At their annual conference in London, they warned that unless this innovative approach to physical exercise is adopted, children will be at risk of back problems and osteoarthritis when they grow up.
Dr Richard Budgett, of BASEM, said he is deeply concerned about current PE lessons in schools.
“Out of the 40 minutes, there’s eight minutes of activity going on. Very often the kids are standing around and just listening to the teacher talk,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
Dr Budgett said children are “made to run before they can walk” because they are thrown into playing sport before they learn how to co-ordinate and move properly.
“Without learning the basics of how to balance and reach and co-ordinate, all their sporting techniques may well be flawed,” he said.
“In later life this leads to musculo-skeletal disorders. Painful backs, necks, shoulders and hips can cause a great loss of quality in our daily lives,” he stated. (ANI)
- J-K Education Department conducts workshop for teachers - Dec 29, 2010
- We are ready to go an extra mile for our friends - Apr 01, 2011
- Modified shoes can ease pain in incurable osteoarthritis - Oct 24, 2011
- Moderate exercise can delay the onset of osteoarthritis - Nov 29, 2010
- Fancy sports shoes likely to damage knees, hips, ankles - Jan 05, 2010
- Indians beware - smoking can cause arthritis (Oct 12 is World Arthritis Day) - Oct 12, 2011
- Ballroom dancing 'improves pupils' behaviour, motivates them to exercise' - Jun 22, 2009
- 30-second bursts of exercise may help fight childhood obesity - Jan 11, 2011
- China probes schoolgirl's suicidal jump - Nov 22, 2011
- Tagore's texts made into pictorial editions (With Images) - May 29, 2012
- School students to be taught chess to sharpen minds - Jan 04, 2012
- Laziness is 'a disease' - Aug 11, 2010
- PE Teacher Shot By School Boy For Making Him Play Rugby - Nov 06, 2010
- Exercise at school 'improves kids' fitness' - Feb 24, 2010
- A British school where kids learn head massage - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: basem, budgett, daily mail, doctors, dr richard, exercise medicine, hips, london, medicine, minute fitness, osteoarthritis, pe lessons, physical exercise, pupils, regime, risk, shoulders, skeletal disorders, Sports, youngsters