5 killed in attack on Mexican barApril 3rd, 2011 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), April 3 (IANS/EFE) Five people were killed and three were wounded in an attack on a bar in this Mexican city, authorities said.
Arturo Sandoval, spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office in Chihuahua state, where Ciudad Juarez is located, said the attack occurred Friday night when several heavily armed men arrived in two vehicles and fired gunshots and hurled Molotov cocktails inside the bar.
“Five people - three men and two women - suffered deadly burns in the Las Barritas bar,” Sandoval said Saturday.
Three employees of the nightspot were seriously wounded and taken to a local hospital for medical treatment, municipal authorities said.
This latest attack occurred 24 hours after a separate group of gunmen killed 10 people at another bar in Ciudad Juarez, located across the border from El Paso, Texas.
About 300 bars and 4,000 food establishments have closed in Ciudad Juarez since 2009 because of the violence in the city, the Restaurant and Prepared Foods Industry Association says.
More than 3,100 people were murdered in the border city last year, the deadliest since a war between rival drug gangs sent the homicide rate skyrocketing in 2008.
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Mexican border city officials seek ban on video game - Feb 24, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- Mexican city closes 2,000 streets - Mar 03, 2011
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- 4 killed during football game in Mexican city - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: armed men, arturo sandoval, border city, city authorities, ciudad juarez mexico, drug gangs, el paso, food establishments, friday night, gunmen, gunshots, homicide rate, local hospital, medical treatment, molotov cocktails, municipal authorities, nightspot, prepared foods, three men, two women