48 killed in Kenya ethnic clashesAugust 22nd, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Aug 22 (IANS) At least 48 people, including 11 children, were killed in a clash involving two communities in Kenya, police said Wednesday.
The clash between the Pokomo and Orma communities took place overnight in the Tana river region of southeast Kenya, Xinhua reported.
Many people were injured and several houses were burnt down, police said.
Several livestock belonging to the Ormas were slashed to death.
The Pokomos are farmers and the Ormas are pastoralists, and have been fighting over pastureland for some time now, police said.
The Ormas’ cattle had strayed into farmlands owned by the Pokomos, and in the process destroyed crops. This prompted the Pokomos to attack the Orma herdsmen.
- Kenya minister killed in chopper crash - Jun 10, 2012
- Top Venezuela diplomat murdered in Kenya - Jul 28, 2012
- Rain-triggered rockslide flattens Nairobi slum, killing 7 - Apr 05, 2012
- Villagers kill six lions in Kenya - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari pledges help to flood victims - Sep 08, 2011
- Section-144 imposed to curb violent protests in Mathura - Aug 15, 2010
- Two Kenyan ministers among six killed in chopper crash (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Floods destroy crops in Pakistan - Aug 23, 2010
- Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Over 100 dead in Kenya fuel pipeline fire - Sep 12, 2011
- Child labour, still a common practice in large parts of rural India - Nov 19, 2010
- China to use chicken army to fight locusts - Jul 07, 2012
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- 30 people injured in Arunachal violence - Oct 11, 2011
- Eight killed in Kenya road accident - Dec 19, 2011