48 Iranian pilgrims abducted in SyriaAugust 4th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 4 (IANS) At least 48 Shia Muslim pilgrims from Iran were Saturday abducted in the Syrian capital by militants while they were on their way to the Damascus airport, Iran’s state-run IRIB TV reported.
Majid Kamjou, chief counsel of the Iranian embassy in Syria, said the group of pilgrims was scheduled to visit a Shia shrine in suburban Damascus before leaving the city for Tehran, Xinhua reported.
There has been no news about the whereabouts of the pilgrims, but the consulate section of the Iranian embassy in Damascus has been tracing the kidnappers with help from Syrian authorities, the official said.
The al-Mayadeen TV network also said a bus transporting Iranian pilgrims was hijacked by an armed group on the Damascus airport road.
Xinhua said many Shia pilgrims in Syria have been kidnapped since the 17-month unrest in the country.
Earlier Saturday, Syrian army troops uncovered a mass grave in the Damascus suburb of Yalda, which was controlled by rebels.
An undetermined number of bodies there belong to civilians and army personnel, Xinhua said.
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran asks Turkey, Qatar to help release pilgrims in Syria - Aug 05, 2012
- Five Killed, many injured in Syria blast - Sep 04, 2012
- US, Israel responsible for Syrian insecurity: Iran - Jul 20, 2012
- Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards - Aug 06, 2012
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Syrian rebels set free one of 11 Lebanese pilgrims - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over US drone incident - Dec 09, 2011
- Iran declines reports of arms supplies to Syria - Feb 26, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistan asks citizens not to travel to Syria - Jul 21, 2012
- Iran warns against foreign military intervention in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: abducted, armed group, army personnel, army troops, chief counsel, damascus airport, iranian embassy, irib tv, kidnappers, mass grave, militants, muslim pilgrims, shia muslim, syrian army, syrian authorities, syrian capital, tv network, undetermined number, xinhua, yalda