4,600 criminals let off in Britain: Indian-origin MPSeptember 14th, 2012 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 14 (IANS) An astounding 4,600 serial criminals in Britain last year got away with just police cautions or warnings, prompting Indian-origin MP Priti Patel to call on law authorities to end the “nonsense”.
According to statistics from the justice ministry, one-third of all offenders in Britain now have at least 15 previous convictions, but more of them get lenient punishments, The Sun reported.
One-third of all those who were fined - a total of 16,400 - were also hardcore offenders, compared to just one in six in 2002, the data showed.
Tory MP Patel called on Justice Secretary Chris Grayling, and said the “disturbing figures demonstrate soft justice doesn’t work”.
“Offenders who commit crimes again and again get away with a slap on the wrist,” she was quoted as saying.
- Indian-origin MP wants more rights for British crime victims - Dec 15, 2011
- Get back capital punishement: Indian-origin British MP - Aug 24, 2011
- Execute arrest warrants: Indian-origin British MP - Mar 03, 2012
- 300 criminals untraceable in Britain: Indian-origin MP - Jun 26, 2011
- EU court allows asylum seekers to stay - Dec 22, 2011
- Jail term over, 55 not deported from UK: Indian-origin MP - Aug 10, 2011
- Don't use British jails as hotels: Indian-origin MP - Aug 09, 2012
- Britons appalled as criminals not deported: Indian-origin MP - Sep 08, 2011
- Indian-origin MP condemns release of sleep-hit burglar - Nov 19, 2011
- Majority of Britons want return of death penalty - Aug 07, 2011