44 killed in attack on Turkish wedding (Second Lead)May 5th, 2009 - 8:19 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, May 5 (DPA) At least 44 people were killed and 17 injured Monday night in an armed attack on a wedding celebration in southeastern Turkey, officials confirmed Tuesday morning.
Four masked attackers threw hand grenades and fired automatic weapons on wedding guests in Bilge village in Mardin province, the Dogan news agency reported. Many of those killed and injured were women and children. It was not clear whether the bride or groom were among the casualties.
The reason behind the attack was not clear, but Mardin Deputy Governor Ahmet Ferhat Ozen ruled out an attack by the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK) that operates in the southeast, leaving Turkish media to speculate that the attack could be related to a family feud.
Turkish media had earlier reported erroneously that the killings were the result of a fight between the families of the bride and groom.
A large number of village guards, state-employed and armed militiamen, work in Bilge and surrounding villages, Turkish media reported.
Security forces were deployed around the village and Turkish reporters were denied access to the scene of the murders.
- 41 killed in shooting at Turkish wedding (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Gunmen kill 44 at Turkish village wedding party - May 05, 2009
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Abducted British tourist released in Turkey - Jun 04, 2012
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkish teenager rescued after four days - Oct 28, 2011
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Seven killed in Turkish road accident - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: ahmet, attackers, automatic weapons, bilge, bride and groom, deputy governor, family feud, ferhat, hand grenades, killings, kurdish workers party, ozen, pkk, security forces, southeastern turkey, tuesday morning, turkish media, turkish wedding, wedding celebration, wedding guests