44 dead in Brazil’s worst floods in decadesMay 10th, 2009 - 7:43 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, May 10 (EFE) Forty-four people have died in Brazil’s worst floods in more than four decades that also left thousands more homeless, officials said.
Floods and mudslides caused by the heavy rains for the past two weeks have left 44 people dead and nearly 185,000 people homeless in northern Brazil, the civil defence authorities said Saturday.
Most of the fatalities occurred in the Ceara, Maranhao, Amazonas and Bahia regions with 36 deaths. Authorities in several areas have declared a state of emergency.
About 130,000 food baskets and 1.4 million kits containing mattresses, blankets and pillows have been distributed in the affected areas, authorities said.
According to an official estimate, the total economic losses from the flooding - most severe since mid-1950s - would be about one billion reais (about $482 million).
Weather officials said the rains would continue through this weekend which may cause more flooding and mudslides in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, National Integration Minister Geddel Vieira Lima said he would tour the affected areas to determine the amount of aid required to mitigate the crisis.
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said earlier he was unhappy with the rehabilitation work, as the “bureaucratic hurdles” have prevented the government from providing fast aid to the affected people.
- Brazilian president skips G20 summit due to flood - Jun 26, 2010
- Brazil rains: Death toll rises to 610 (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Death toll in Brazil rains rises to 549 - Jan 16, 2011
- Brazil rains: 8,000 left homeless - Mar 14, 2011
- Flooding leaves 180,000 homeless in Brazil - May 06, 2009
- Lula rules out rain disturbing World Cup, Olympics - Apr 09, 2010
- Homeless couple return $10,000 found on Brazil street - Jul 10, 2012
- Heavy rains leave 250 dead in Brazil - Jan 13, 2011
- Heavy rains kill 93 in Brazil - Apr 07, 2010
- 100 killed in Brazil rain - Nov 27, 2008
- Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil - Apr 25, 2010
- Floods wreck havoc in Brazil - Feb 28, 2012
- Over 60 killed in Brazil mudslides - Jan 03, 2010
- IOC to assess impact of heavy rain on Rio 2016 Olympics - Apr 08, 2010
- Bolivia rains: 250 homes collapse in La Paz - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: bureaucratic hurdles, civil defence, defence authorities, economic losses, food baskets, heavy rains, inacio, luiz inacio lula da silva, lula da silva, mid 1950s, more than four decades, mudslides, national integration, northern brazil, president luiz inacio lula, president luiz inacio lula da silva, rehabilitation work, state of emergency, weather officials, worst floods