43 school kids killed in Bangladesh accident (Lead)July 11th, 2011 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 11 (IANS) At least 43 school students were killed Monday when a truck carrying them overturned and plunged into a ditch in Bangladesh, officials said.
The accident took place in Mirsarai sub-district of Chittagong district, 240 km southeast of Dhaka, Xinhua reported.
Sayeed Kutub, chief executive officer of Mirsarai, said the truck, which was carrying over 50 students, plunged into the ditch when its driver lost control about 1.30 p.m.
The students were returning after taking part in a football tournament, he said.
Iftekhar Hossain, officer in charge of Mirsarai police station, said: “The rescue operation has been called off and we’ve listed the names of 43 deceased.”
Hossain said hundreds of people, including senior government officials, held a mass funeral Monday evening for the deceased school children.
President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina condoled the death of the students in the road accident, state news agency BSS reported.
The government has also constituted a committee to probe the accident.
A recent study by the Accident Research Centre of Bangladesh University of Engineering Technology said some 10,000-12,000 people are killed in road accidents in the country every year.
- 26 school kids killed in Bangladesh accident - Jul 11, 2011
- Six killed, 45 wounded in bangladesh in road accidents - Jul 19, 2011
- Bus plunges into ditch in Bangladesh - Jul 17, 2011
- 10 students injured as school bus overturns - Aug 24, 2011
- Ten students injured as van overturns - Mar 22, 2011
- TV channel CEO, filmmaker killed in Bangladesh accident - Aug 13, 2011
- Seven killed in two accidents in Bangladesh - Jul 17, 2011
- After 62 years, Dhaka varsity to revoke Mujib's expulsion - Aug 03, 2010
- Bus plunges into ditch (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- Violence mars Bangladesh's 'language movement' day (Lead) - Feb 21, 2010
- 34 killed in Zambian road accident - Jul 28, 2011
- At least 41 killed in northern India road accident - Aug 22, 2011
- Indian printers of Bangladesh textbooks accused of graft - Dec 22, 2010
- Indian ship arrives ahead of navy chief's Bangladesh trip - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: accident research centre, bangladesh university, bss, chief executive officer, chittagong district, ditch, engineering technology, football tournament, government officials, mass funeral, minister sheikh hasina, news agency, police station, prime minister, road accident, road accidents, school kids, school students, state news, xinhua