42 killed in Nepal bus accidentOctober 13th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Oct 13 (IANS) At least 42 people were killed Thursday when a passenger bus they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge in central Nepal.
The bus landed on the bank of Sunkoshi river at Riththebhir, Sindhuli district, after its 700-metre plunge around 10.30 a.m.
Police said they counted 40 bodies, including those of 13 women, while two others died on their way to hospital. About a dozen others were seriously injured, Xinhua reported.
The accident took place on the Khurkot-Nepalthok section of the BP highway. The injured were rushed to Banepa town and Kathmandu for treatment.
About 11 passengers, who were travelling on the roof, survived by jumping off the vehicle.
Police said about 80 people were on board when the horrific accident took place.
Most of the passengers were returning to the capital after celebrating Dashain festival in their home district.
It was reported that the overcrowded bus skidded due to the poor road condition and fell into the gorge.
- Bus with over 30 people falls into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Four from Tripura killed in Meghalaya accident - Nov 11, 2011
- 40 die as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 20 die as bus fall into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 34 killed in Himachal bus accident (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012
- Five dead, 19 injured in Nepal accident - Jun 04, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Bus with 30 people falls into Himachal gorge - Sep 10, 2012
- Seven people killed in Himachal accidents - May 09, 2012
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012