41 killed in shooting at Turkish wedding (Lead)May 5th, 2009 - 6:02 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, May 5 (DPA) At least 41 people were killed Monday night in an armed fight at a wedding in southeastern Turkey, authorities confirmed early Tuesday morning.
The families of the bride and groom at the wedding in Mardin province’s Bilge village reportedly got into an argument after which state-employed village guards took sides and the argument descended into a shootout.
At least 17 people were injured in the fight, the Dogan news agency reported.
Village guards are employed and armed by the state in order to fight separatist rebels from the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK).
“Forty-one people have lost their lives in the fight at the wedding,” Dogan quoted Mardin Vice Governor Ahmet Ferhat Ozen.
Security forces were deployed at the village and at hospitals treating the injured in order to stop any further violence, Dogan reported.
- 44 killed in attack on Turkish wedding (Second Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- Gunmen kill 44 at Turkish village wedding party - May 05, 2009
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- Abducted British tourist released in Turkey - Jun 04, 2012
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkish teenager rescued after four days - Oct 28, 2011
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 41 killed Turkey wedding shooting - May 05, 2009
- Plight of the Kurds forced off their land - Feb 11, 2009
Tags: ahmet, ankara, bilge, bride and groom, early tuesday, ferhat, hospitals, kurdish workers party, mardin, monday night, news agency, one people, ozen, pkk, security forces, separatist rebels, southeastern turkey, tuesday morning, turkish wedding, vice governor