41 killed in Iraq bombingMay 21st, 2009 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 21 (DPA) At least 41 people were killed when a car bomb exploded in a neighbourhood of the Iraqi capital Wednesday night, police and medics said.
They said the bomb exploded near a popular restaurant in the poor, predominantly Shia neighbourhood of Shula, on the northwest edge of Baghdad.
Medics said there was no apparent military target for the blast, which occurred when the streets were thronged with people eating out or shopping for the evening.
It was the deadliest attack in Baghdad since twin bombs killed at least 50 people in Sadr City, another Shia neighbourhood of the capital April 29.
On Monday, Iraqi military spokesman Qassim Atta showed reporters clips from the video taped confessions of a man police say is Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, the shadowy “Emir” of the Islamic State in Iraq, an umbrella Sunni insurgent group that includes Al Qaeda in Iraq.
The release of that video came days after al-Jazeera aired an audio tape from a man who said he was al-Baghdadi and that he was free and well.
On separate occasions in the spring of 2007, Iraqi police reported that they had killed and captured al-Baghdadi. In July 2007, the US military said it believed al-Baghdadi did not exist, but was a “myth” created to “put an Iraqi face” on Al Qaeda in Iraq.
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- Al Qaeda claims Baghdad blast - Aug 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
- Iraq captures Al Qaeda suspect in Baghdad's UN building bombing - Jan 16, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- Six killed in Iraq's twin blasts - Oct 03, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 10 dead in Iraq hostage crisis - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: abu omar, al jazeera, al qaeda in iraq, atta, audio tape, bomb exploded near, car bomb, insurgent group, iraq bombing, iraqi capital, iraqi military spokesman, iraqi police, islamic state, man police, medics, military target, neighbourhood, northwest edge, sadr city, shula