40 Al Qaeda suspects detained in Iraqi swoopsAugust 6th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 6 (DPA) US and Iraqi security forces Wednesday detained dozens of suspects linked to Al Qaeda as part of a nationwide crackdown on the terror network, news reports said. In Diyala, two female would-be suicide bombers and 15 wanted men were arrested as part of Operation Baashaer al-Kheir (Promise of Good) currently ongoing in the volatile province, officials told independent news agency Voices of Iraq (VOI).
“Iraqi forces arrested two female suicide bombers in al-Asri neighbourhood in al-Tahrir region in Diyala and 15 wanted men in Muqdadiya, al-Saadiya, Baladruz and Kanaan regions,” defence ministry spokesman Mohammad al-Askari told VOI.
Launched last week, the operation is aimed at tracking down Al Qaeda members in Diyala, a province extending north-east of Baghdad as far as the Iranian border.
A second military operation was launched Wednesday by joint US-Iraq forces in Babel province, 100 km south of Baghdad. Some 23 suspects were seized in the swoop, among them an Al Qaeda leader and two senior aides, an unnamed source told VOI.
“The forces confiscated 128 weapons found with the three gunmen and found 300 mortar shells in a mosque in Hillah,” he added.
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Islamist insurgent group claims killing 25 US soldiers - Jun 21, 2010
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 25 killed, 75 wounded in Iraq suicide car bombing - May 05, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- Former Saddam Hussein deputy captured in raid - Apr 25, 2010
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- 'Only 17,000 US soldiers left in Iraq' - Nov 25, 2011
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: al askari, al tahrir, asri, defence ministry spokesman, female suicide bombers, gunmen, hillah, independent news, iranian border, iraqi forces, iraqi security, kanaan, kheir, military operation, mortar shells, qaeda leader, swoops, terror network, unnamed source, voices of iraq