39 civilians killed in July 23 NATO attack in Afghanistan

August 5th, 2010 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS  

Taliban Kabul, Aug 5 (IANS) The Afghanistan government Thursday confirmed that 39 civilians were killed by NATO-led troops late last month in Sangin district in southern Afghan province of Helmand,
“The report presented by Senator Mullah Shir Mohammad Akhundzada, who leads the investigating team, to the President Wednesday said that some families gathered in a house to escape the conflict when a rocket of the allied force hit it killing 39 people including women and children,” Xinhua quoted a statement released by Presidential Place as saying.

Four other civilians were injured in the incident July 23 when Afghan and NATO-led forces were fighting Taliban insurgents in the area.

However, NATO said no civilians were killed in Sangin district on that day.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe