37 killed in Brazil slum raidsDecember 5th, 2010 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Dec 5 (IANS/EFE) At least 37 people were killed, over 100 arrested and over 500 weapons and 34 tonnes of drugs seized in operations against drug gangs in two slums in Rio de Janeiro, police said.
Aided by the Brazilian army, which supplied tanks, gear and soldiers, Rio de Janeiro’s police forces raided the shantytowns of Vila Cruzeiro and Complexo do Alemao - which houses some 400,000 residents - and seized 200 handguns, 140 rifles, 73 revolvers, 35 machine guns and other firearms including 38 grenades and six homemade bombs.
A total of 118 people were arrested, including 21 minors, in the raids carried out during Nov 21-Dec 2, the state-run Agencia Brasil news agency said.
Police also seized 33.8 tonnes of marijuana, 313.9 kg cocaine, 54 kg crack cocaine and two kilograms of hashish.
The raids were part of the government’s plan to clean up the city’s image before it hosts the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.
- Beached whale dies in Brazil - Oct 28, 2010
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Brazil mudslides: Toll reaches 860 - Feb 02, 2011
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazil mudslides: Toll rises to 869 - Feb 03, 2011
- Brazil to launch satellite for military purposes - Apr 04, 2012
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Brazil's oldest prison razed to make way for housing - Mar 15, 2010
- Four tonnes of drugs seized in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Brazilian movie cop urges countrymen to give up guns - May 06, 2011
- Over one tonne cocaine seized in Venezuela - Mar 08, 2011
- Five killed in Brazil anti-drug operation - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: 2016 olympics, alemao, brazilian army, crack cocaine, cruzeiro, drug gangs, fifa world cup, firearms, grenades, handguns, hashish, homemade bombs, kilograms, machine guns, rifles, rio de janeiro, shantytowns, slum, slums, vila