36 Indians have miraculous escape in NepalDecember 25th, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
By Sudeshna Sarkar
Kathmandu, Dec 25 (IANS) Three dozen Indian pilgrims and their Nepali guide had a lucky escape Christmas day morning when their bus jumped off the road and fell nearly 15 metres while heading towards a renowned temple, police said.The group of pilgrims from Gujarat had paid a visit to the hallowed Pashupatinath temple in Kathmandu and were going to Janakpur in southern Nepal when the accident occurred, police said.
“According to preliminary investigation, the driver saw a truck coming from the opposite direction and tried to swerve to avoid hitting it,” Inspector Angur G.C. told IANS. “In doing so, it fell nearly 15 metres below the road at around 7 a.m.”
The pilgrims had a miraculous escape. Only 17 - including six women - were injured. But by afternoon, all were released from the Hetauda Hospital after first aid.
The police officer said only the driver sustained serious injuries.
“It was difficult to extricate him from the toppled bus,” he said. “We had to cut through the metal body to pull him out.”
Nearly 70 pilgrims from Gujarat had embarked on the tour in two buses. The other vehicle was unscathed.
The pilgrims were scheduled to visit the Janaki temple in Janakpur, where this month the annual Ram-Sita wedding festival was thronged by thousands of pilgrims from both India and Nepal.
From Janakpur, the Indian group was to have exited Nepal to return home via Bihar. Police said further details were awaited.
Nepal’s roads remain one of the most accident-prone in the world. On Friday, five people died when a four-wheeler carrying them fell off the road. On Saturday, a motorcyclist was killed in a head-on collision.
(Sudeshna Sarkar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 17 killed in Nepal bus accident - Jul 17, 2012
- 36 Indian pilgrims die in Nepal bus crash (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Dozens feared dead in Nepal bus mishap - Sep 06, 2010
- Indian tourists duped, assaulted in Nepal - Aug 02, 2011
- 15 Indians killed as jeep falls into Nepal river (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 12 killed in Nepal road accident - Oct 05, 2010
- 28 killed in twin Nepal accidents - May 04, 2011
- 15 Indians killed in Nepal accident (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Seven people killed in Himachal accidents - May 09, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012
- Seven Gujarat pilgrims killed in Punjab accident - Nov 06, 2011
- After Mumbai dabbawallahs, Nepal's hijras bless British royal wedding - Apr 20, 2011
- 35 pilgrims killed in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Nepal pledges probe as plane crash kills all 22 on board (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: angur, buses, christmas day, dec 25, first aid, four wheeler, friday five, gujarat, head on collision, indian group, indians, kathmandu, lucky escape, motorcyclist, pashupatinath temple, pilgrims, police officer, preliminary investigation, southern nepal, sudeshna sarkar