36 dead, 12 missing in Philippines typhoonMay 10th, 2009 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 10 (DPA) The death toll in a typhoon that pummelled northern Philippines has reached 36, with 12 still missing, the government said Sunday.
More than 140,000 people were affected by typhoon Chan-Hom in 11 provinces in the northern Philippines, including Manila.
The provinces of Ifugao and Pangasinan recorded the most number of deaths at 16 each, according to the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC).
Four people were killed in the provinces of La Union, Nueva Vizcaya, Bataan and Zambales.
Disaster relief officials and volunteers rushed food, medicines, water and shelter materials to the affected areas, especially the worst-hit provinces of Pangasinan and Ifugao.
The weather bureau said typhoon Chan-Hom has moved out of the Philippines, but some parts of the country could still experience rains.
Chan-Hom hit northern Philippines May 7, toppling trees and electrical posts, damaging more than 20,000 houses and causing widespread floodings.
More than 390 million pesos ($8.21 million) worth of infrastructure, crops, livestock and fisheries have been destroyed in the typhoon, the NDCC.
Chan-Hom struck just one week after typhoon Kujira slammed eastern Philippines, killing 27 people and causing damage worth over $9 million.
- 18 dead as typhoon Chan-Hom hits Philippines (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Typhoon kills 10 in Philippines - May 08, 2009
- Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 - Sep 30, 2011
- Toll in Philippine typhoon reaches 65 - Jul 17, 2010
- Typhoon Nesat kills 31 in Philippines - Sep 28, 2011
- Philippine landslides, floods toll nears 200 (Second Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Typhoon Saola claims 41 lives in Philippines - Aug 04, 2012
- 113 dead in Philippine landslides, floods (Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- At least 11 killed as Super Typhoon Megi hits the Philippines - Oct 19, 2010
- Typhoon Megi gains strength, approaches south China - Oct 21, 2010
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- Typhoon hits Philippines, kills one - Oct 31, 2009
- Typhoon Parma kills 17 in the Philippines - Oct 04, 2009
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Philippines rushes relief to north, typhoon toll 321 - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: bataan, crops, death toll, deaths, disaster relief, fisheries, floodings, infrastructure, kujira, livestock, medicines, national disaster coordinating council, ndcc, northern philippines, nueva vizcaya, pangasinan, philippines typhoon, relief officials, volunteers, weather bureau