35th OIC foreign ministers’ meet kicks off in KampalaJune 18th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kampala, June 18 (Xinhua) The Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) kicked off its annual meeting of foreign ministers here Wednesday with a special focus on developmental issues. During the three-day meeting in the Ugandan capital, top OIC diplomats are to hammer out how the Islamic body will distribute its $6 billion development fund for Africa, which was set up at the OIC Dakar Summit held in March, 2008.
The looming food crisis and the surging oil prices will also top the agenda with an action programme likely to be adopted at the meeting.
Other economic issues include poverty reduction, private sector development and trade cooperation among OIC member states.
On the political agenda, the OIC ministers will take as priority the consideration of the Palestinian question and the expansion of Jewish settlements. Measures to help alleviate the worsening living conditions of the Palestinians are also expected to be discussed.
The OIC ministers will also ponder ways and means of providing support to rebuild Iraq’s institutions and its national economy.
They are also to address other political issue, such as India-Pakistan conflict over Kashmir, brokering a solution to the problem in line with UN resolutions.
Furthermore, the meeting is also planned to review the situation in Darfur, as well as that in Afghanistan and Cote d’Iviore.
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- Senegal coach optimistic ahead of World Cup qualifier - Jun 09, 2012
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Regional security, development to feature in GCC summit - Dec 04, 2010
- India rejects OIC reference on Kashmir - Aug 17, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Netanyahu discusses peace moves with Jordan king - Jul 27, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Arab League supports Palestinians over talks - Oct 09, 2010
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Indians in Uganda promise to reward CWG meddalists - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: diplomats, economic issues, food crisis, foreign ministers, india pakistan conflict, islamic body, jewish settlements, national economy, oic member states, oil prices, organization of the islamic conference, palestinian question, political agenda, poverty reduction, private sector development, situation in darfur, trade cooperation, ugandan capital, ways and means, xinhua