35 injured in multiple vehicle collision in BritainNovember 5th, 2011 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
London, Nov 5 (IANS) Some people were killed and around 35 were injured in a multiple vehicle crash involving as many as 27 cars and lorries on a motorway in Somerset county, a media report said Saturday.
Avon and Somerset police said 10 people were believed to have suffered serious injuries following the accident on the M5 motorway at about 8.25 p.m. Friday, the Guardian reported.
Police said: “Around 27 vehicles are involved and there are believed to be approximately 35 people injured. Some of these people are seriously injured. Some have tragically lost their lives.”
At least four vehicles, including two lorries, caught fire and firefighters using hydraulic cutting equipment had to rescue four people trapped in their vehicles.
The collision’s force sent debris on to the other side of the carriageway.
According to emergency crews, the cause was not clear, but there had been reports of heavy rain and fog in the area, BBC reported.
Assistant chief constable Anthony Bangham, of Avon and Somerset Police, said “several people” had died but he could not be specific about numbers at this stage.
Bangham said: “The officers and the other emergency services faced a very, very difficult scene when they arrived.
“The collision itself involved what we believe to be about 27 vehicles - both lorries and cars. So they were faced with virtually all of them on fire. Many of them have burnt literally to the ground.”
According to Devon and Somerset fire and rescue service, 15 fire teams and 50 firefighters were called in from areas across the county, including Taunton, Glastonbury, Bridgwater and Yeovil, and were still at the scene at 1 a.m..
Helicopters were also sent to the scene.
- 14 killed in Poland train collision (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- UK truckers caught drinking lager, texting on phones while driving - Jan 15, 2011
- 15 foot high Kate Moss billboard crushes shoppers on Oxford Street - Mar 08, 2012
- 15 dead in Andhra train accident - May 22, 2012
- 10 killed, 18 injured in Florida highway pileups - Jan 30, 2012
- House fire in northwest London kills 6, injures 2 - Sep 24, 2011
- 25 dead as Hampi Express rams into goods train in Andhra (Second Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Four killed, 25 injured in Bengal road accident - Aug 26, 2011
- Two Chicago Firefighters Killed And More Than Fifteen Injured In Blaze - Dec 23, 2010
- 3-alarm fire at New York City apartment building injures 31 - Mar 13, 2011
- Romanian gang attempts to steal a moving lorry - Jun 12, 2012
- Passenger buses collide in Taiwan tunnel, killing 2 - May 08, 2012
- Explosion rocks German chemical park - Mar 31, 2012
- 20 vehicles collide in China, five dead - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: assistant chief, avon and somerset police, bangham, bridgwater, britain london, carriageway, chief constable, cutting equipment, emergency crews, emergency services, fire teams, firefighters, heavy rain, lorries, M5 motorway, nov 5, somerset county, vehicle collision, vehicle crash, yeovil