32 Shiite pilgrims killed in Iraq suicide bomb blastFebruary 13th, 2009 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Iskandiriyah (Iraq), Feb.13 (ANI): Thirty-two Shiite pilgrims were blown up by a woman suicide bomber on Friday in the southern town of Iskandiriyah.
Agency reports said that women and children were among those killed. Sixty-five people were also injured in the incident, officials said.
Police said that the town falls in Iraq’’s Babil province and added that the suicide bomber had hidden her explosives under an abaya, the traditional Muslim head-to-toe black garment for women.
She blew herself up among a crowd of women and children just after mid-day Iraq time.
It was the third straight day of killings that have targeted Shiites heading to Karbala.
Friday’’s attack came a day after eight worshippers were killed and more than 50 wounded in a bomb attack near Karbala’’s revered Imam Hussein shrine.
A blast 11 months ago near the shrine left 43 dead. (ANI)
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Suicide bombings kill at least ten people in central Iraq - Jan 20, 2011
- Car bombings kill two in Iraq holy city - Jul 16, 2011
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 27 killed, 75 injured in Iraq bombings (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2010
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Iraq suicide blast toll rises to 33 - Feb 13, 2011
- 16 killed in Pakistan blast, no terror link (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Muslim devotees mourn martyrdom of Imam Hussain - Dec 17, 2010
- 20 killed, 75 injured in Iraq blasts - Feb 05, 2010