31 Tamil Tigers killed, LTTE positions smashed: Sri LankaMarch 19th, 2009 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 19 (IANS) At least 31 Tamil Tiger guerrillas were killed and many more reported wounded during fresh clashes with troops in Sri Lanka’s north-eastern Mullaitivu district, the defence ministry said Thursday.
The ministry said that 23 rebels were killed and as many reported injured Wednesday as troops of the 58 Division inching towards the last LTTE strongholds “ran into identified LTTE resistance positions” located in general area northeast of Puthukkudiyiruppu in Mullaitivu.
Eleven more cadres of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) were reportedly shot dead in the same area by the troops operating in the forward defence locations. Bodies of 12 guerrillas, as many T-56 assault riffles and an I-com set were recovered during the search operations, the defence ministry report said.
Separately, 55 Division troops deployed in area south of Chalai, a coastal village in Mullaitivu, also killed eight more rebels Wednesday.
According the military, the LTTE which once controlled a major portion of the northern and eastern provinces of the island nation, have now been boxed into a mere 28 sq km land stretch in Mullaitivu, facing an unprecedented military thrust from various directions.
Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said that the number of civilians fleeing the rebel-held areas was on the rise and over 45,500 internally displaced people have entered the government-held areas since the beginning of 2009.
- 45 killed as Sri Lankan military battles LTTE (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops enter LTTE's last stronghold: military - Feb 28, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
- Troops kill 29 Tigers in Sri Lanka - Mar 27, 2009
- 27 killed in sea clash with LTTE: Sri Lankan military - Mar 30, 2009
- 19 LTTE rebels killed as troops capture fresh areas: Military - Apr 01, 2009
- 250 LTTE rebels killed, scores of bodies recovered: Sri Lanka - Mar 10, 2009
- Troops capture key Sri Lankan area, 420 killed - Apr 05, 2009
- Over 49,000 flee LTTE-held area as deadline to surrender ends (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- LTTE fails to meet Sri Lanka's ultimatum to surrender (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- LTTE-run police post, court centre captured: Sri Lanka - Mar 16, 2009
- Air Force choppers escape LTTE missile attack: Sri Lanka - Mar 25, 2009
- LTTE suffers heavy losses, troops encircle last rebel enclave - Feb 22, 2009
- 96 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka: Military (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- 420 Tigers killed, troops seize key Sri Lankan area (Lead) - Apr 05, 2009
Tags: assault riffles, brigadier, cadres, coastal village, defence ministry report, eastern provinces, forward defence, island nation, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, military spokesman, mullaitivu district, nanayakkara, puthukkudiyiruppu, search operations, sri lanka colombo, strongholds, tamil tiger guerrillas, tamil tigers, udaya