300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south ChinaSeptember 29th, 2011 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 29 (IANS) About 300,000 people were evacuated in south China in preparation for typhoon Nesat’s expected assault on the island province of Hainan Thursday.
Packing winds of 42 metres per second at its centre, it made landfall in Wengtian township in Wenchang at 2.30 p.m., bringing heavy winds and torrential rain to the city in eastern Hainan, Xinhua reported.
The city had evacuated 57,738 people from disaster-prone areas, including low-lying areas and fishing boats, by 2 p.m., said Fu Taosheng, an official with the city’s flood control and drought relief headquarters.
The province also recalled ships, suspended flight and ferry services and closed schools in preparation for Nesat, which is the 17th typhoon to hit China this year as well as the strongest.
Chen Cheng, vice governor of Hainan, ordered all fishing boats to return to harbor and fishermen to take shelter ashore.
The storm seriously disrupted local transportation services.
All flights were cancelled at the Sanya Phoenix International Airport Thursday, while 143 flights were canceled and 32 delayed in Haikou Meilan Airport.
At 9.15 p.m., the typhoon had landed in Xuwen county in Guangdong province, packing strong winds and unleashing downpours, according to the provincial weather station.
It was still moving northwest at 20 km per hour, on course to enter the Beibu Gulf, the station said.
The typhoon also brought storms to neighbouring Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, forcing closure of over 3,000 schools.
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- 27,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits China - Jul 29, 2011
- 190,000 evacuated as storm hits China - Jul 30, 2011
- 75,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits China (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Typhoon Conson hits China - Jul 16, 2010
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Typhoon Nesat kills three in China - Oct 02, 2011
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- 470,000 evacuated as typhoon Nesat lashes China - Oct 01, 2011
- Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 - Sep 30, 2011
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- China suspends ferry service as tropical storm approaches (Lead) - Oct 03, 2008
Tags: autonomous region, china beijing, drought relief, ferry services, fishing boats, flood control, guangdong province, island province, landfall, local transportation services, phoenix international airport, prone areas, provincial weather, sanya, south china, strong winds, typhoon nesat, vice governor, weather station, wenchang