3,000 PPP volunteers to form human shield around Benazir’s vehicleNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:10 am ICT by admin
They discussed a comprehensive security plan at the provincial home department. Around 15 government officers attended including the Home Secretary, CCPO, and representatives of the Airport Security Force and intelligence agencies.
PPP Karachi’s leader Rashid Rabbani, former Health Minister Major General (retired) Ehsan Ahmed, and two persons close to the Bhutto family, Durrani and Dr Zulfiqar Mirza, represented the party.
According to party sources, the representatives informed the authorities about some possible threats to Bhutto’s life. They include a suicide attack on her convoy, an attack with a rocket on her vehicle, a bomb blast either at the airport or on the route, etc.
The Daily Times quoted Durrani as saying that the party has arranged an armoured/bullet-proof truck for Bhutto and the government has agreed to aerial surveillance along the route of her convoy.
The government representatives have assured the PPP leaders that the police and rangers would be deployed on all the buildings along the route of her rally, sources said.
The government has also sought the party’s assistance to impose some restrictions on its workers inside and outside the airport, they added. (ANI)
- Never said Karachi be made a province: Pak Punjab CM - Apr 25, 2011
- PPP, MQM, ANP criticise Pak Punjab CM over Sindh proposal - Apr 25, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Hina Rabbani Khar to be Pakistan's youngest foreign minister (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- When two Pakistani ministers quarrelled - Aug 23, 2011
- Bhutto's security was Musharraf govt's responsibility: Malik - Apr 25, 2010
- Zardari hails Bhutto, recalls Simla pact - Jan 05, 2012
- Zardari returns to Pakistan (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Benazir Bhutto assassination probe should have started from Musharraf: Aitzaz Ahsan - Dec 25, 2010
- Eight Pakistani officials suspended over Benazir killing - Apr 19, 2010
- The Hina factor in India-Pakistan talks - Jul 26, 2011
- Pakistan's 'deep state' will remain abiding challenge for India (Comment) - Jul 12, 2012
- Pakistani provincial minister quits - Nov 19, 2011
- 'Arms coming to Karachi from Afghanistan' - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: aerial surveillance, bhutto family, bomb blast, comprehensive security, convoy, ehsan, federal governments, former health, government officers, government representatives, home secretary, pakistan peoples party, ppp, rabbbenazir, security force, security plan, zulfiqar