30 tonnes of drug-making chemicals found in MexicoJuly 10th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 10 (IANS/EFE) Around 30 tonnes of drug-making chemicals - on a vessel from China - have been seized at a Pacific port in Mexico, officials said.
The chemicals were seized in Manzanillo, the Attorney General’s Office said.
The 140 metal barrels carrying the chemicals were loaded in Shanghai and arrived in Manzanillo on a Lebanese-flagged ship, it said.
Machines to make synthetic capsules and tablets were also found.
Manzanillo is frequently used as an entry point for synthetic drug making chemicals. In August 2010, authorities seized a record 200 tonnes of such chemicals.
Consignments reportedly sent from Asia and Europe are used by drug cartels to make synthetic drugs for shipment to the US.
- 250 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- 60 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Jun 05, 2011
- Mexico seizes 80 tonnes of drug-making chemicals - Apr 10, 2010
- 840 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Jul 23, 2011
- 38 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Apr 09, 2011
- 80 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - May 21, 2010
- 15 tonnes of methamphetamine seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- 15 tonnes of synthetic drugs burnt in Mexico - Feb 20, 2012
- Four tonnes of drugs seized in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- 1,577 kg cocaine seized in Mexico - Apr 20, 2010
- Mexican navy seizes 2.4 tonnnes of cocaine - May 04, 2010
- Mexico, US launch programme to detect nuclear materials - Jul 26, 2012
- 6,000 kg chemicals, 4.5 tonnes cocaine seized in Venezuela - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: asia and europe, attorney general, authorities, chemicals, china, drug cartels, efe, metal barrels, mexico city, mexico mexico, mexico officials, shanghai, synthetic capsules, synthetic drug, synthetic drugs, tonnes