30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan (Lead)June 25th, 2009 - 12:56 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 24 (DPA) Thirty Taliban militants were killed in clashes with NAvTO and Afghan forces in separate incidents in southern Afghanistan, officials said Wednesday.
A statement from the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said 25 Taliban fighters were killed in the southern Kandahar province Tuesday night in a raid on rebel hideouts.
NATO and Afghan forces raided Taliban compounds used for making roadside bombs near the Belandi area, the statement said.
Explosives and weapons were also found in the compounds after the operation ended, it said.
Elsewhere, ISAF and Afghan troops said they killed a Taliban commander involved in roadside attacks in the southwestern Farah province. hey also captured three other rebels in the provincial capital Farah Monday.
In the southern province of Zabul, local officials say two intelligence officials and four Taliban fighters were killed in separate incidents.
In Helmand province, where NATO-led British troops have launched a major offensive, ISAF said its troops killed a driver after he failed to heed warnings to stop his car in the Babaji area, north of the provincial capital Lashkargah.
Meanwhile, the Taliban said they destroyed a military vehicle of NATO troops and killed several soldiers in an attack in Babaji area Tuesday.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said NATO and Afghan forces landed in the desert of Babaji three days ago and that the militants had heavily mined the area to prevent troop advances.
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- 22 Taliban insurgents killed - Oct 17, 2011
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Four Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2011
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 27, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- Taliban cell leader and other suspected insurgents captured throughout Afghanistan - Jul 25, 2010
- Three civilians among nine killed in Afghanistan - Aug 21, 2010
- NATO soldier, 35 insurgents killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 24, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: ahmadi, british troops, clashes, farah, hideouts, intelligence officials, international security assistance, isaf, kandahar province, military vehicle, nato troops, provincial capital, roadside bombs, southern afghanistan, southern kandahar, southern province, taliban, taliban commander, taliban fighters, taliban spokesman