30 Syrian army men defect to TurkeyJune 25th, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, June 25 (IANS) Thirty-three Syrian army defectors, including a general and two colonels, have fled to Turkey, Turkish state-run Anadolu news agency reported Monday.
The defectors and their family members were sent to a camp in Apaydin in southern Hatay province, RIA Novosti said.
More than 33,000 Syrians have fled to Turkey since violence broke out in Syria in March last year, according to Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority.
According to the UN, around 10,000 people have been killed in clashes between Syrian government troops and opposition forces.
Tensions between the former allies have risen after Syria downed a Turkish military jet which it said had violated Syrian air space last week.
Turkey said the plane, which was on a training flight to test the country’s radar capabilities, had unintentionally crossed into Syria’s air space, but was inside international air space when it was shot down.
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Turkey mulls buffer zone on Syrian border - Jun 11, 2011
- Wreckage of downed Turkish plane located - Jun 25, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- Syria fires at another Turkish jet - Jun 26, 2012
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 40,000 Syrian refugees reach Turkey - Jul 14, 2012
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Turkish military plane crashes in Mediterranean - Jun 22, 2012
- Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey - Sep 14, 2012
- Russia opposes Libya-style UN action on Syria(Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,