30 militants lay down arms in AfghanistanJune 14th, 2010 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Herat (Afghanistan), June 14 (IANS) Thirty Taliban militants laid down their arms and joined the government-initiated peace process in Afghanistan, police said Monday.
“Thirty Taliban fighters under Mullah Zamarai Akhund, who were active in Shindand district, handed in their weapons Sunday evening,” Xinhua quoted police officer Malham Khan of Herat province as saying.
Akhund also called on other Taliban fighters to give up their weapons.
A National Consultative Peace Jirga convened by government this month in Kabul called on Taliban and other anti-government militants to give up militancy and join the peace process.
- 14 militants lay down arms in Afghanistan - Jun 20, 2010
- 14 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2012
- 30 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 30, 2012
- Taliban step up attacks ahead of Afghan Loya Jirga - Nov 04, 2011
- Over 40 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Apr 26, 2012
- 20 Taliban fighters lay down arms - Jan 16, 2012
- Over 2,300 Taliban join Afghan peace process: NATO - Aug 29, 2011
- 20 Afghan militants lay down arms - Apr 18, 2012
- 100 Taliban militants give up fighting - Jul 18, 2012
- 27 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 22, 2012
- 50 Taliban rebels lay down arms in Afghanistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Rockets fired near Kabul peace assembly, Karzai unhurt (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Twin blasts rock Kabul, Karzai unhurt - Jun 02, 2010
- Over 100 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Nov 04, 2010
- 16 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - May 01, 2012