30 killed as 12 blasts rock Assam (Second Lead)October 30th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Oct 30 (IANS) At least 30 people were killed and more than 100 injured in a string of explosions in Assam Thursday, including four in the heart of the state’s main city of Guwahati, police and eyewitnesses said.A police spokesman said there were 12 blasts in a span of about an hour beginning 11.20 a.m. - five in Guwahati, three in Barpeta district, three in Kokrajhar district and one in Bongaigaon district, all in western Assam.
“According to preliminary reports, at least 30 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the 12 blasts. More than 30 people are stated to be critical,” a senior police official said, requesting not to be named.
The four blasts in Guwahati took place at the busy Ganeshguri area, Panbazar, Fancy Bazar, and in Paltan Bazar.
“The area was teeming with people, officer goers, shoppers and vendors when a very big explosion took place,” Arindam Das, a witness said. “I saw at least six dead bodies, while more than 30 people were lying on the ground and bleeding,” Das said describing the blast scene at the Ganeshguri area in Guwahati.
Another blast took place in front of the district magistrate’s court in Guwahati, where five people were killed.
“Some of the bodies were charred beyond recognition,” Deputy Inspector General of Assam Police G.P. Singh said.
Ten people were killed in three blasts in crowded marketplaces in Kokrajhar district, about 250 km west of Guwahati.
“About 10 people were killed and more than 23 injured. Details are awaited,” police official A. Das said from Kokrajhar.
“In all, about 20 people were killed in the five blasts in Guwahati,” a senior police official said. No militant group has claimed responsibility for the explosions.
“We don’t know about the nature of explosives or who could be behind the attacks as we are now busy carrying out rescue operations,” police official G.P. Singh said.
- Guwahati blast: 50 detained, ULFA claims responsibility - Sep 09, 2012
- NDFB chief is Assam's 'Kasab', say angry blast victims - May 02, 2010
- Choreographed bombings across Assam kill at least 30 (Third Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- 48 killed, 300 injured in Assam serial blasts (Fourth Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- 64 killed, over 300 injured in Assam terror bombings (Night Lead) - Oct 31, 2008
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- 61 killed as terror strikes with deadly accuracy in Assam (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2008
- Blast injures two in Assam (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Assam Police leadership collapsed during Oct 30 blasts: Report - Oct 26, 2009
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Guwahati-Puri Express derails in Assam (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- 100 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Third Lead) - Jul 11, 2011