3 held in Britain for ‘bomb threat’ on Dubai-bound planeJanuary 9th, 2010 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 9 (IANS) Three British passengers aboard a Dubai-bound flight were arrested for allegedly threatening to blow up the aircraft while it was ready for take-off from Heathrow airport here, police said Saturday.
Police boarded the Emirates flight and arrested the passengers, understood to be English, after a verbal threat was made to blow up the plane as it taxied along the runway, said Cameron McLean a passenger on the Boeing 777.
Three men, aged 58, 48 and 36, have been arrested on suspicion of making a bomb threat, Sky News reported quoting metropolitan police.
“Police just swarmed the guy and rushed him out. I think he was a white male. There was another one but I didn’t see him,” McLean was quoted as saying.
He said that one man was taken out in handcuffs after which sniffer dogs were brought to check along the aisles and in the overhead lockers. A police officer said: “We have not found anything.”
Initial reports had suggested that the threat was not serious, and that the alert could have been raised after a comment from a drunken passenger. The other passengers were held on the aircraft for at least four hours after the incident.
The men had been drinking and may have made the comments in jest, but aviation experts believe that the crew had acted prudently in the circumstances, the report said.
The incident comes amid heightened security screenings at airports across the world in the wake of the failed Christmas Day attempt to explode a Detroit-bound flight by 23-year-old Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a former London student.
- 3 Britons held for 'bomb threat' in Dubai-bound plane (Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Three flyers arrested at Heathrow for bomb threats (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Man held over bomb threat to Amsterdam airport (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Yemen bomb went on two passenger jets: Qatar Airways (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab pleads guilty - Oct 12, 2011
- Muslims could face tighter screening at British airports - Dec 29, 2009
- Dutch police arrest British terror suspect at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - Sep 20, 2010
- Life in prison for underwear bomber - Feb 17, 2012
- MI5 knew about Abdulmutallab's terror links since 2006 - Jan 03, 2010
- Abdulmutallab carried explosives strong enough to destroy US airliner - Dec 28, 2009
- 60 foreigners linked to Al Qaeda held in Yemen - Jun 10, 2010
- US plane attacker had syringe sewn into his underwear (Lead) - Dec 27, 2009
- Nigerian bomb suspect got visa due to US embassy's blunder - Dec 28, 2009
- Al-Qaeda claims it has invisible jet bomb - Mar 01, 2010
- US seeks tighter cooperation with international airports - Jan 01, 2010
Tags: aisles, aviation experts, boeing 777, bomb threat, cameron mclean, christmas day, drunken passenger, farouk, handcuffs, heathrow airport, initial reports, london jan, london student, making a bomb, metropolitan police, police police, sky news, sniffer dogs, three men, umar