3 dead, 17 injured in Philippine airbase blastMay 29th, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by admin
Manila, May 29 (Xinhua) Three civilians were killed and 17 injured when an improvised bomb exploded near an airbase in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga Thursday. The explosive device went off at around 10 a.m. (0200 GMT) near the gate of the Edwin Andrews Airbase in Zamboanga, regional police chief Jaime Caringal said.
“All casualties are civilians,” Caringal said, adding that the police was probing the case.
Reports said the shrapnel from the explosion also damaged the office of congress member Beng Climaco and several other premises located in front of the airbase. But there was no damage to the air base.
Police have arrested three people and impounded a van in connection with their investigation.
Caringal said a group of reporters were also in Edwin Andrews airbase, waiting to board a military plane to far-flung island of Tawi-Tawi to cover the day trip of Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
The officer said armed rebel group Moro Islam Liberation Front and the more violent Abu Sayyaf extremist group were singled out as most probable suspects.
No group has claimed responsibility.
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Australian abducted in Philippines - Dec 06, 2011
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Philippine toll in floods, landslides rises to 300 - Oct 11, 2009
- Kidnapped Irish priest released in Philippines (Lead) - Nov 12, 2009
- Two bomb explosions rock southern Philippine city - Jan 29, 2010
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- Three killed in Philippines ambush - Apr 06, 2009
Tags: abu sayyaf, beng climaco, bomb exploded near, case reports, congress member, day trip, explosive device, extremist group, gloria macapagal arroyo, liberation front, military plane, philippine president gloria macapagal, philippine president gloria macapagal arroyo, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, rebel group, regional police, shrapnel, xinhua, zamboanga