US military base contract in Ecuador not to be renewedMarch 20th, 2008 - 12:49 pm ICT by admin
Quito (Ecuador), March 20 (Xinhua) The US military’s contract for renting the Manta base in Ecuador will not be renewed after it expires in 2009. Ecuador’s constituent assembly voted to outlaw the installation of foreign military bases in the country Wednesday, four days after President Rafael Correa announced that he would not allow such bases on Ecuadorian soil as of 2009.
The US has expressed interest in renewing the lease for the base, which it has been using since 1999.
The vote has made it impossible for the US military to continue using the base on the coast of Manabi province, 249 km southwest of the capital Quito.
Ecuadorian Defence Minister Wellington Sandoval said an audit on the Manta base would be carried out after meeting with assembly members.
The assembly is currently drafting a new constitution for the country.
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Ecuador expels US ambassador - Apr 06, 2011
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Ecuador tells US to leave its military air base - Jul 31, 2008
- Ecuador seeks to hedge oil prices against drop - Jul 04, 2011
- Assange gets asylum in Ecuador (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 16, 2012
- Britain threatening to take Assange by force: Ecuador - Aug 16, 2012
- US dismantling Ecuador base for move to Colombia - Jul 18, 2009
- China extends $51 mn in loans to Ecuador - Nov 25, 2009
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- Former Spanish judge to defend Assange - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: assembly members, capital quito, constituent assembly, constitution, defence minister, manta base in ecuador, military base, military bases, outlaw, president rafael correa, quito ecuador, rafael correa, sandoval, soil, southwest, vote, wellington, xinhua