2,900 kg of cocaine seized in PanamaJanuary 25th, 2011 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
Panama City, Jan 25 (IANS/EFE) Panamanian police and military units confiscated over 2,900 kg of cocaine in two separate operations over the weekend, authorities said here Monday.More than 100 bales containing 2,625 kg of the drug were found on a stretch of the Uvero river near the Caribbean coast in Colon province, the deputy director of the Air-Naval Service, Nonato Lopez, told a press conference.
Another 337 kg of cocaine were seized from a speedboat off the Pacific island of San Miguel, he said.
No one was arrested in connection with the drugs, Lopez said.
Panama’s chief counternarcotics prosecutor, Javier Caraballo, said traffickers often pay residents of drug-drop areas to act as lookouts and warn the smuggler when police are approaching.
- Four tonnes of cocaine seized in Panama - Sep 26, 2010
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- 3 tonnes of cocaine seized in Panama - Sep 25, 2010
- Colombian navy seizes tonne of cocaine - Sep 12, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Suitcase containing $600,000 seized in Panama - Aug 02, 2011
- 1.5 tonnes of cocaine seized in Panama - Apr 14, 2010
- 4.5 tonnes marijuana seized in Mexico - Mar 11, 2011
- Police seize 460 kg of cocaine in Honduras - Oct 08, 2010
- Argentina wins best short film award at Panama fest - Aug 08, 2011
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Nicaragua seizes over two tonnes of cocaine - Mar 06, 2012
- Spain busts gang that hid drugs in babies' diapers - Nov 29, 2011
- Strike stalls Panama Canal expansion project - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: authorities, bales, caraballo, caribbean coast, cocaine, colon, deputy director, drugs, kg, lookouts, military units, nonato, panama city, prosecutor, san miguel, smuggler, speedboat, traffickers