29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacreFebruary 24th, 2012 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Monterrey (Mexico), Feb 24 (IANS/EFE) Three prison officials and 26 guards at the Apodaca state penitentiary in the northeastern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon are being held in preventive detention for their alleged complicity in last weekend’s massacre of 44 inmates and the escape of 30 prisoners.
The detainees are the prison’s warden, Geronimo Miguel Andres Martinez; deputy warden, Juan Hernandez Hernandez; and security chief, Oscar Laureno Deveze, the spokesman for the Nuevo Leon Security Council, Jorge Domene, said at a press conference Wednesday.
He added that the 29 detainees, who are being held without formal charges under the controversial Mexican legal instrument known as “arraigo”, are under investigation for wilfully allowing the prisoners escape.
Nuevo Leon Attorney General Adrian de la Garza said authorities have investigated 55 people thus far in connection with the killings and breakout, adding that the number may rise in the coming days.
“The investigations are continuing and we’re not ruling out that a higher number of people may be detained…,” De la Garza said.
“We can deduce at this time that there was no fight but rather murders were committed with direct attacks on certain people who were there,” De la Garza said, adding that “some of the detainees directly participated in the prison break.”
Early Sunday, members of the Los Zetas drug cartel killed 44 prisoners purportedly linked to the Gulf drug cartel at Apodaca. The victims were fatally stabbed with sharp objects, stoned or bludgeoned to death.
The Zetas, a band of special forces deserters turned outlaws, spent years as the armed wing of the Gulf drug cartel before going into business for themselves.
A turf war between those two drug cartels and clashes pitting criminals against the security forces claimed some 2,000 lives in Nuevo Leon last year.
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Kidnapping victims held in Mexican jail - Oct 07, 2011
- 41 Mexican guards to go on trial for jailbreak - Dec 29, 2010
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- Former lawmaker's body found in Mexico - Sep 13, 2012
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 14 die in fire at Mexican prison - May 21, 2011
- 20 die in Mexico prison fight - Oct 16, 2011
- 6 policemen kidnapped in Mexican city - Mar 12, 2011
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- 25 killed in Mexico clash - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: complicity, deputy warden, detainees, domene, drug cartel, drug cartels, formal charges, hernandez hernandez, juan hernandez, legal instrument, los zetas, monterrey mexico, nuevo leon, preventive detention, prison break, prison officials, security chief, sharp objects, state penitentiary, turf war