29 militants surrender in TripuraMay 21st, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by admin
Agartala, May 21 (IANS) Twenty nine tribal separatists surrendered to the authorities in Tripura while the Border Security Force (BSF) apprehended four militants from Meghalaya, officials said Wednesday. A police spokesman said the militants, all from the outlawed Borok National Council of Tripura (BNCT), a sister organisation of the banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT), surrendered to officials of the Assam Rifles in north Tripura Tuesday.
According to an Assam Rifles statement, the militants were staying in camps in the Chittagong Hill Tracts area of southeast Bangladesh.
“We have deserted our camps in Bangladesh few days back as we were fed up with life in the jungles. Moreover, there is resentment because our leaders lead a luxurious life in cities in Bangladesh while our cadres have no food, no place to stay and no shelter,” Surjyaram Reang, a surrendered militant, was quoted as saying in the statement.
Over 200 tribal guerrillas of different outfits have surrendered to the authorities this year in Tripura.
BSF troopers Tuesday arrested four militants of Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), a Meghalaya outfit, while they were crossing the Indo-Bangla border through Tripura’s Kamalpur area.
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Hardcore rebel surrenders in Meghalaya - Oct 01, 2010
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- Nine Tripura terrorists flee Bangladesh, surrender - May 17, 2011
- 118 rebels flee Bangladesh camps, surrender in Tripura - Feb 15, 2009
- 16 Tripura terrorists flee Bangladeshi camps, surrender - Aug 11, 2010
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Khasi rebel outfit ready for talks - Aug 15, 2012
- Hold talks with rebels, women's group tells Meghalaya - Aug 16, 2012
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Meghalaya rebel leaders send feelers for talks - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: agartala, assam rifles, bangla, bangladesh, border security force, cadres, chittagong hill tracts, few days, guerrillas, indo, jungles, luxurious life, national liberation front, nlft, north tripura, police spokesman, resentment, separatists, sister organisation, surrender