28 wounded in Assam blast, minister escapes unhurtApril 10th, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, April 10 (IANS) A powerful explosion ripped through a marketplace in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district Thursday, leaving 28 people injured, 15 critically. A minister addressing a public meeting nearby miraculously escaped unhurt, the police said here. The blast took place at Howraghat in Karbi Anglong, about 290 km east of Assam’s main city of Guwahati. “The bomb was strapped to a bicycle parked at a marketplace where Hill Areas Development Minister Khorsing Ingti was addressing a meeting,” a senior police official said by telephone.
The venue of the minister’s meeting was about 100 metres from where the blast took place. “Twenty-eight people, most of them either shoppers or vendors, were injured in the explosion,” the official said.
Fifteen of the injured were stated to be critical and were shifted to hospital.
The police suspect the Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF) or the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) to be behind the blast.
“The KLNLF or the ULFA militants could be responsible for triggering the blast,” the official said.
The KLNLF is a rag-tag rebel outfit fighting for a homeland for the majority Karbi tribe in Karbi Anglong district of Assam.
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Three militants killed in Assam gunfights - May 19, 2010
- Seven wounded in Assam blast, minister escapes - Apr 10, 2008
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- Nine injured in Assam market blast, three ULFA killed - Dec 06, 2008
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- PM to address public meeting in Dibrugarh today - Apr 07, 2009
- Three injured in Assam blast - Jan 02, 2012
- Militant's surrender brings new hope for peace in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- Karbi militant chief believed killed - May 07, 2012
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- 50 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: assam, bicycle, bomb, development minister, explosion ripped through, hill areas, karbi anglong, marketplace, national liberation front, police official, rag tag, shoppers, tribe, ulfa militants, united liberation front, venue