27 killed in sea clash with LTTE: Sri Lankan militaryMarch 30th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 30 (IANS) At least 26 Tamil Tiger guerrillas and a Sri Lankan Navy sailor were killed, and four rebel boats were destroyed in a clash off the coast of Mullaitivu in the island nation’s northeast early Monday, an official said here.
The pre-dawn sea clash erupted when Sri Lankan Navy patrol boats engaged a cluster of Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam (LTTE) boats off Chalai and Mullaitivu areas, where the rebels are now confined to a 21 sq km land stretch.
“During the sea confrontation, four LTTE boats were destroyed and 26 LTTE cadres, including a Sea Tiger wing leader Maran, were killed,” military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara told IANS.
He said a naval sailor was also killed and three more wounded in the clash.
The military said that the number of civilians fleeing the rebel-held areas in defiance of LTTE orders was on the rise and over 55,000 internally displaced people (IDPs) have entered government-held areas since the beginning of 2009.
These IDPs are temporarily housed in welfare centres and villages in the northern Vavuniya and Jaffna districts.
- 45 killed as Sri Lankan military battles LTTE (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
- 96 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka: Military (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- LTTE sea-borne attack foiled, 18 rebels killed: Sri Lanka - Apr 04, 2009
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- 31 Tamil Tigers killed, LTTE positions smashed: Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2009
- LTTE cornered to 28 sq km area: Sri Lankan military - Mar 18, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, 95,000 flee war zone (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- LTTE female suicide bomber kills 23, wounds 64 (Fourth Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Rajapaksa to discuss political situation with parties - Mar 24, 2009
- Sri Lankan rebels claim 1,000 civilians killed this week (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Row over fishing causing a crisis: Sri Lanka minister - Mar 16, 2011
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 95,000 flee war zone (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Rebels attack ship in Sri Lanka - Mar 09, 2009
Tags: brigadier, early monday, island nation, jaffna, liberation tigers, ltte boats, military spokesman, mullaitivu, nanayakkara, navy sailor, northern vavuniya, patrol boats, pre dawn, sea tiger, sri lankan military, sri lankan navy, tamil tiger guerrillas, udaya, welfare centres, wing leader