27 killed in Iraq bomb attacksDecember 22nd, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 22 (IANS) At least 27 people were killed and some 154 wounded in a spate of car blasts and bomb attacks in Baghdad Thursday morning, an interior ministry source said.
“Our latest reports are that 27 people were killed and 154 others wounded in Baghdad bombings,” Xinhua quoted the source as saying on condition of anonymity.
It was a first major indication of escalation of violence in the country after the withdrawal of US troops from the country. The last batch of US combat forces in Iraq crossed into neighbouring Kuwait on Sunday (Dec 18).
On Thursday, the deadliest attack occurred in Karradah district in central Baghdad, when a car bomb parked near the building of Iraqi integrity commission detonated, killing 13 people and wounding 36, the source said.
A total of four car bombs ripped through the capital in addition to 10 roadside bombs and a rocket barrage that struck the city during the morning rush hour.
The attacks struck the districts of Alawi, Karradah, Bab al- Muadham in central Baghdad, Shaab, Shulla, Adhamiyah in the north, Baiyaa, Amil, Amin, Doura, Abu Dsheer in southern Baghdad, Yarmouk, Harthiyah and Ghazaliah in the west.
Iraqi security forces blocked many main roads in the capital and dozens of police and army vehicles were deployed across the city, as sounds of sirens of ambulances and fire engines could be heard across the capital.
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Coordinated terrorist attacks across Baghdad kill 74, injure more than 300 - Nov 03, 2010
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- Car bomb attack kills nine in Baghdad - May 04, 2011
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: ambulances, amil, army vehicles, baghdad bombings, car bomb, car bombs, central baghdad, doura, escalation of violence, fire engines, interior ministry, iraqi security, main roads, ministry source, morning rush hour, neighbouring kuwait, roadside bombs, spate, xinhua, yarmouk