27 killed in fighting in the PhilippinesMarch 28th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Cotabato City (The Philippines), March 28 (DPA) Seven soldiers and 20 Muslim rebels were killed in a clash in the southern Philippines, the army said Saturday.
The fighting erupted at dawn Friday when patrolling troops encountered about 80 Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels in Mamasapano town in Maguindanao province, 960 km south of Manila, Lt Col Jonathan Ponce said.
Ponce said five soldiers were wounded in the fighting, which lasted for more than eight hours. “Scores were also wounded on the enemy side,” he said.
Ponce said more troops have been dispatched to pursue the rebels, who escaped to the mountains in the early evening.
The MILF has been fighting for the establishment of a separate Islamic state in the southern region of Mindanao since 1978.
Peace talks between the MILF and the Philippine government have been suspended since August when the guerrillas launched a series of attacks in Mindanao, triggering fierce fighting with the military.
Nearly 300 people were killed in the attack and subsequent fighting while more than 500,000 civilians were displaced.
The hostilities erupted after the Supreme Court stopped the signing of a territorial agreement between the MILF and the government that would have expanded a Muslim autonomous region in Mindanao.
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strike - Mar 02, 2009
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
- Three rebel commanders killed in the Philippines - Jun 20, 2009
- Three government anti-drug agents killed in Philippines - Apr 13, 2009
- 100 Muslim rebels killed in Philippine offensive: Army - Aug 23, 2008
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- Rebel commander captured in Philippines - Sep 23, 2009
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippine blast - Jul 07, 2009
- Obama sends letter to Philippines Muslim rebel leader - Nov 14, 2009
- Philippine Muslim rebels call for peace talks (Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Suspected militants kill seven Philippine troops in ambush - Aug 17, 2008
Tags: autonomous region, civilians, cotabato city, early evening, eight hours, enemy side, fierce fighting, guerrillas, hostilities, islamic state, maguindanao province, milf rebels, mindanao, moro islamic liberation, moro islamic liberation front, muslim rebels, peace talks, philippine government, ponce, southern philippines