27 killed, 270 hurt in Iran blasts (Second Lead)July 16th, 2010 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 16 (IANS) At least 27 people were killed and about 270 others injured when two bombs went off outside a mosque in southeastern Iran, media reports said Friday.
The attack took place outside the Grand Mosque of Zahedan city in Sistan-Bolouchestan province Thursday. Eleven injured are in critical condition, IRNA news agency reported quoting Health Minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi Friday.
Among those killed in the blasts were members of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), the country’s most powerful military force.
Dastjerdi said a specialised medical team has been dispatched to the city to help the injured.
The first blast occurred at 9.20 p.m., followed by a second blast within minutes. The blasts damaged nearby shops.
Sunni group Jundallah said in an email to Al Arabiyeh television that it had carried out the attack in retaliation for Iran’s execution in June of its leader Abdolmalek Rigi, Xinhua reported.
Iran hanged Rigi in Tehran’s Evin prison June 20 after he was convicted of various crimes, including armed robbery, bombing operations in public places, armed attacks on the army, police and civilians, assassination attempts, disrupting regional stability, kidnapping and murder.
Iran’s Deputy Interior Minister Ali Abdollahi described the incident as a “terrorist act”, Fars news agency reported.
Governor General of the province, Ali-Mohammad Azad, told IRNA Friday that foreign intelligence services are behind the attack.
Sistan-Baluchistan province is home to the Jundallah insurgency. The group has claimed responsibility for blasts that have killed dozens in recent years, including several senior commanders of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard last year.
- 20 dead, 100 hurt in twin blasts in Iran - Jul 16, 2010
- 15 dead in attack on Iranian mosque - Jul 16, 2010
- US tags Iranian militant group 'Jundullah' a terrorist organisation - Nov 04, 2010
- Jundullah chief Abdolmalek Rigi hanged in Iran - Jun 21, 2010
- Iran accuses US of backing rebel leader (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Iran executes militant group leader - Jun 20, 2010
- Iran building 'anti-terror' fence on Pakistan border - Apr 15, 2011
- Iran arrests rebel leader - Feb 23, 2010
- Iran twin quake toll rises to 306 - Aug 13, 2012
- Demonstartions held in Pakistan against Rigi's hanging - Jun 24, 2010
- Iran hangs convicted Sunni rebel: Report - Nov 04, 2009
- Ahmadinejad urges Zardari to confront Jundallah Group - Oct 19, 2009
- Iran rebel group Jundallah announces new leader - Mar 01, 2010
- Jundallah chief Abdolmalek Rigi nabbed in Iran - Feb 24, 2010
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: ali mohammad, armed robbery, assassination attempts, azad, deputy interior minister, evin prison, grand mosque, health minister, intelligence services, iran media, irna, islamic revolution, marzieh, medical team, nearby shops, regional stability, rigi, sistan, southeastern iran, vahid