Djokovic, Nadal, Roddick heads Queen’s club fieldMarch 13th, 2008 - 1:46 pm ICT by admin
London, March 13 (DPA) Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic, world number two Rafael Nadal and defending champion Andy Roddick of US will head the field at the Artois Championships, which celebrates its 30th edition this summer. The prestigious pre-Wimbledon grass event, slated for June 9-15, serves as the traditional tune-up for the Grand Slam at the All England club.
Roddick and Australian Lleyton Hewitt are both aiming for a record fifth title in hopes of surpassing John McEnroe and Boris Becker on four each in West London.
Between them, Roddick and Hewitt have claimed the last eight editions of the tournament between them - Hewitt (2000, 2001, 2002 and 2006) and Roddick (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007).
Britain’s Andy Murray, who is back on form after a 2007 wrist injury that forced him to miss the summer, will also be seen in action here. He has already won two titles in the first two months of the season.
The tournament celebrates its 30th birthday in 2008 after it started with John McEnroe winning the first of four singles titles.
The roll of honour features many of the sport’s famous names, including McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker and Pete Sampras.
Expecting a huge crowd during the tournament, the officials are also increasing the centre court capacity to nearly 7,000 seats.
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- McEnroe advises Australian tennis champ Hewitt to consider retirement - Nov 11, 2010
- Boris Becker -- star born at Wimbledon 1985 - Jul 05, 2010
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Murray invents snack-based nicknames for his tennis pals - Jun 27, 2009
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Hewitt still hoping to snare another major title - Jun 21, 2010
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- List of Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles - Jul 09, 2012
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
- McEnroe tips Andy Murray to win Australian Open - Jan 16, 2010
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Federer gets top seeding at Wimbledon ahead of Nadal - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: andy murray, andy roddick, artois championships, australian open champion, boris becker, defending champion, england club, famous names, grand slam, jimmy connors, john mcenroe, lleyton hewitt, london march, novak djokovic, pete sampras, rafael nadal, roll of honour, traditional tune, west london, wrist injury