26 killed in Sri Lanka’s fresh fightingJune 24th, 2008 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 24 (IANS) Twenty-one Tamil Tiger guerrrillas and five security personnel were killed while over 40 wounded in fresh fighting in Sri Lanka’s northeast, official sources said Tuesday. The Media Centre for National Security (MCNS) of the ministry of defence said 10 rebels were killed in the north-eastern Weli-Oya region.
Eleven were gunned down in sporadic clashes in north-western Mannar and northern Vavuniya regions Monday.
The MCNS said that advancing troops had captured six Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) bunkerlines north of Janakapura in Weli Oya. Two soldiers were killed and seven wounded in the clashes.
In another incident, three police officers were killed and one was injured when they came under a suspected LTTE bomb attack at Aiyanthamalai in the eastern district of Batticaloa Monday evening.
According to the MCNS, the bomb targeting the police officers went off when they were on their way to have bath in a nearby brook.
Thousands have been killed in recent years in escalating violence in Sri Lanka.
- 68 combatants killed in Sri Lanka's weekend clashes - Aug 18, 2008
- Sri Lanka bombs rebel targets, 37 combatants die - Sep 01, 2008
- 17 killed in Sri Lanka clashes: military - Jul 07, 2008
- Army-LTTE clashes leave 32 dead in Sri Lanka - Aug 12, 2008
- LTTE heavy weapon deployment, boats bombed: Sri Lanka Air Force - Jul 18, 2008
- 49 LTTE fighters killed by Sri Lankan military: army - Aug 11, 2008
- Jets pound suspected LTTE base amid fighting - Jul 08, 2008
- Sri Lanka far from post-war harmony, says activist - Nov 27, 2010
- LTTE 'strategic bastion' in north captured: Sri Lankan military - Sep 02, 2008
- LTTE artillery, mortar launching pads bombed: Sri Lanka - May 31, 2008
- 46 combatants killed as Tiger territory captured: Sri Lankan military - Sep 02, 2008
- 51 combatants killed, 50 injured in Sri Lanka clashes - Aug 28, 2008
- 24 killed, 25 injured in fresh clashes in Sri Lanka - May 26, 2008
- Several LTTE rebels killed in Sri Lanka - Jun 29, 2008
- 36 killed in clashes between LTTE, Sri Lanka Army - Jun 09, 2008
Tags: bomb attack, june 24, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mannar, mcns, ministry of defence, national security, northern vavuniya, police officers, rebels, security personnel, sporadic clashes, sri lanka, tiger, two soldiers, violence, weli oya