26 held responsible for Shanghai inferno

June 25th, 2011 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS  

Shanghai, June 25 (IANS) A total of 26 former government officials have been held responsible for a fire in Shanghai in November last year that killed 58 people, authorities said.

The blaze engulfed a residential high-rise building in Shanghai’s Jing’an area.

The 26 people have been charged by the prosecution with abuse of power, taking bribes or being responsible for serious accidents, the Shanghai Daily reported.

The suspects include a former director of the district construction committee, former deputy director, and legal representatives and managers of two construction groups. These four bear the major responsibility for the inferno, the prosecution said.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe