26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead)September 19th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Sep 19 (IANS/EFE) Twenty-six workers were killed Tuesday in an explosion and subsequent fire at a gas plant in the northeastern Mexican state of Tamaulipas, state-owned Petroleos Mexicanos said.
A company spokesperson told EFE that 27 people had been injured in the blast and fire.
The explosion occurred around 10.45 a.m. at the facility near Reynosa, a city just across the border from McAllen, Texas, Pemex said in a statement.
It took nearly two hours to put out the ensuing fire.
“Specialized technicians with Pemex Exploration and Production will proceed to carry out the analysis of the root cause of the accident, as well as the evaluation of the damage caused to the installation,” the state oil monopoly said.
Tamaulipas authorities temporarily evacuated residents living within a 5 km radius of the plant, but there were no reports of injuries to anyone outside the Pemex facility.
At least 700 people were working at the time of the blast, a Pemex employee said while being treated by paramedics, who were attending to a dozen people with serious injuries.
Soldiers, firefighters and state workers supported the efforts of Pemex crews to bring the blaze under control.
Tuesday’s explosion was Pemex’s worst accident since Oct 23, 2007, when 22 workers died on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Blast at Mexican gas facility kills 26, seven still missing - Sep 20, 2012
- Death toll reaches 30 in Mexico gas facility plant explosion - Sep 22, 2012
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Mexican oil giant sells $327 mn in bonds - Mar 14, 2012
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Mexican firm launches LPG auction - Oct 14, 2011
- Mexican firm inks floating hotels deal in Spain - Sep 20, 2012
- Mexican oil firm posts nearly $25 bn surplus in 2011 - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,