25,000 affected by snowfall in ChinaMarch 23rd, 2012 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 23 (IANS) Over 650 people have been injured and more than 25,000 are facing food shortage and a lack of warm clothing due heavy snowfall in China’s southwest Sichuan province.
Persistent snowfall has battered the province since late January, killing more than 90,000 livestock, Xinhua reported.
Shiqu county has been blanketed under 15 cm of snow due to continuous snowfall since the past one month, according to the county’s disaster prevention and relief bureau.
Electricity and water supply, traffic and communication facilities have also been disrupted by the snow, the bureau said.
The local government has dispatched more than 400 civilians to help with relief work. A relief fund of 300,000 yuan (over $47,000) has been created through donations.
The county government has sent 720,000 kg of grain, 100 tonnes of coal, 100 tents and 1,000 quilts to the affected residents.
- 100,000 snowed in people evacuated in southwest China - Jan 12, 2011
- 30 dead in China storm - May 11, 2012
- Nearly 100 killed in China rains (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Turkish teenager rescued after four days - Oct 28, 2011
- 17 dead, 44 missing in China landslides (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Snowstorms affect 256,000 people in central China - Jan 25, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- At least 127 dead, more than 1,000 missing after landslides in northwest China - Aug 09, 2010
- 12 dead, three mn hit by China storms - Jul 14, 2012
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: china beijing, civilians, coal, communication facilities, county government, disaster prevention, electricity, food shortage, heavy snowfall, livestock, local government, quilts, sichuan province, southwest, tents, tonnes, warm clothing, water supply, xinhua, yuan